Call to Action: Progressives Striking Back Against Attack on Healthcare
A national call to action has been issued, and Progressives across the country and the state will be rallying this Sunday in support of Medicare, Medicaid and the Affordable Care act. These healthcare programs are in severe danger of being cut or repealed entirely, and now is the time to stand up and strike back.
Rallies will be taking place this Sunday, January 15th in the following communities and locations:
- Des Moines: Neal Smith Federal Building, 210 Walnut St – Starting at 1pm
- Cedar Rapids: 310 3rd St SE – Starting at 1pm
- Fort Dodge: City Square Park – Starting at 2pm
- Omaha: 72nd & Dodge – Starting at 2pm
- Sioux City: 526 Nebraska St – Starting at 1pm
- Council Bluffs: 501 5th Ave – Starting at 1pm
- Manchester: 100 E Main St – Starting at 12pm
- Iowa City: Iowa City Public Library – Starting at 2pm SATURDAY
Any cities holding rallies that are not listed, please comment or contact PVI directly so we can put them on the list.
Progressive activist and State Central Committee member, Holly Herbert, put out the call for personal stories related to the topic of healthcare on the Des Moines event Facebook page:
“If you live in or near Des and have a personal story of how privitized Medicaid has negatively affected you or your family’s access to healthcare, or if you know of someone who would like to share their story, [contact] me.
Additionally, if the ACA (aka Obamacare) has had a positive affect on your access to healthcare, and you’d like to share that story, [contact] me.
If you’d like to write a letter to be delivered to your Congressional Representative, and live ANYWHERE in Iowa, let me know. We need to make sure our Representatives are hearing from us.”
You can contact Holly here
If anyone is interested in submitting a letter to the editor, you are encouraged to do so with any or all publications that you are able.
You can submit a letter at the following links:
Des Moines Register
Iowa State Daily
The Ames Tribune
The Hawk Eye
Citizens are also urged to call their federal legislators. You can find their names and numbers below.
- Sen. Chuck Grassley: (202) 224-3744
- Sen. Joni Ernst: (202) 224-3254
- First District, Rod Blum: (202) 225-2911
- Third District, David Young: (202) 225-5476
- Fourth District, Steve King: (202) 225-4426
In the words of Senator Bernie Sanders, we must “build a nation in which we all stand together as one people”. When we come together as a single movement, we can accomplish anything.
This is our first stand, and it won’t be our last as we fight for a future we can believe in.