A Few Steps to Party Unity

Jason Frerichs

Founding Member and first Chair of the Iowa Democratic Party Progressive Caucus Contributor at The Good Men Project

You may also like...

7 Responses

1. Bernard clayton says:

This is one of the best pieces I have read very good I hope everyone pays attention to this thank you for your efforts

2. Charlie Ahern says:

1. Yes 2. Yes 3. Talk calmly, clearly, and politely to your grandpa. “No, don’t worry. African-Americans will not riot and loot your assisted-living facility if Obama loses to Romney.” (Actually, I said this to my elderly father-in-law.) 4. Yes.
    We need to focus on broad-based issues supported by most people, rather than looking for corner-cases on which we can fight among ourselves. As Bernie often mentions, most Americans agree with Democrats on the big issues. We will fail America if we waste our time, energy, and money on continued in-fighting.
    Recently, I’ve been reading a book about Facism. Two things caught my attention. 1)The collaboration of Conservatives with Facists to elevate Hitler and Mussolini to power within the existing political process. 2) The in-fighting between moderates and the left that prevented them from working together to defeat the Conservative-Facist alliance.
    As a Bernista, I say Stronger Together.

3. Excellent, Jason,
    Was it Mark Twain or Will Rogers who said:
    “I don”t belong to any organized political party. I’m a Democrat.”
    I’m not asking because I don’t know. I’m asking because I think we all could benefit from looking it up to get some idea of just how far back in history this all goes.
    This isn’t a GenX vs. Millenial thing, although it feels that way sometimes. It’s not even a Clinton vs. Sanders thing, or even a thing about who gets to own the word “progressive.”
    These are simply the most recent iterations of a knack for coalition building that this party only displays in spurts – those spurts often followed by our biggest and most sustained successes.
    My only suggestion is that it is not exclusively up to traditional Democrats and supporters of Secretary Clinton to reach out. Coffee invitations are welcome from Sanders folks as well.

4. kurtmfriese says:

Agree with all this, but there’s more. It is not just Clinton supporters demonizing and ridiculing Sanders supporters. The reverse happens as well, and speaking as a county, district and state delegate for Bernie, and as an elected Democrat, cut it the hell out, wouldya?!?!
    The other thing we need to do is recognize that the Republicans are not our enemy, they are our opposition. Try to keep in mind the words of the greatest Republican: “We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.”

5. pwlsax says:

Too many Republicans think we are enemies because they don’t know us. Let it be said, some of the division comes from what they DO know about us. We tend to support issues and groups they feel insulted, if not downright threatened by.
    There’s no solving that easily or quickly. But what we can do is find common ground on issues that people of ALL groups are effected by in their daily lives. Not the “recreational” outrages, but things like: Where are the good paying jobs? Where is the help for those who can’t find them, and can’t meet their bills and everyday needs as a result? What do we need to get people trained for good jobs that are going unfilled? And what could we do for people who are working but still not making ends meet?
    I think we need to start with work issues because I believe conservative people of modest means honor one ethic above all: the work ethic. They have convinced themselves that we liberals do not honor any work ethic, and we haven’t shown them any different. All kinds of resentment flow from that, but I think we can overcome a lot of it if we keep the conversation focused on issues that everybody knows matter here and now.
    A lot of resentment stems from people in our regions feeling ignored because of our habit of focusing on groups they do not belong to – other identity groups here at home, or global issues they feel far away from. Donald Trump won the presidency by saying the hell with all those folks, I want to focus on YOU. But he won’t. We have to, and we have to be very careful in our approach.

6. Kathleen O'Leary says:

Don’t throw out the social media. This can be of positive use, like broadcasting this article. Posts on social media can be concerning positive issues solutions. Persons who may not be able to talk over the phone, door to door canvass or have limited mobility of leaving their homes can use the social media and email for good causes.

1. January 9, 2017